do you sometimes find yourself scrolling facebook and somehow end up totally drawn in to a cooking video? usually they’re only like 20 seconds long and totally entice you into thoughts such as “this looks easy enough” and “wow I’m so hungry now”… well, this definitely happened to me when I stumbled upon a video for these buzzfeed chili cheese dog boats on facebook.
so what’s a vegetarian to do?! I made a few tweaks on this recipe and swapped the hot dogs for veggie dogs, this bake has become a staple in my recipe book and I love to make it on a sunday and take my chili dogs to work for lunch all week.
-8-pack of hot dog buns
-¼ cup butter, melted
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
-8 slices cheddar cheese
-15-ounce can of vegetarian chili
-8-pack of your choice veggie dogs (or hot dogs)
1. preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
2. place the 8 hot dog buns in a 9×13 baking dish, then cut a rectangle in each hot dog bun, making sure to stay 1 centimeter from the edges.
3. push down on the bread cut-out and compact this portion of the bun tightly into the bottom of each bun, making sure to press down on the bottom edges as well. this will help create a larger space for the fillings and reduce mess.
4. mix the butter, garlic, and parsley in a small bowl, then brush the buns and their hollowed insides with the garlic butter.
5. bake for 5 minutes to toast the buns as well as help the sides of the buns firm up so they don’t collapse under the weight of the fillings.
6. place a slice of cheddar cheese inside each bun, then spoon a bit of chili inside each one.
7. slide the hot dog snugly on top of the chili, then top with more chili.
8. bake for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is golden brown and the chili has started to brown.
9. slice the hot dogs boats along their connected seams, then enjoy!
these dogs reheat extremely well so feel free to pack leftovers for the week.
*recipe adapted from buzzfeed