-8 large eggs
-1 large beet
-2 cups water
-1 cup vinegar
-1 teaspoon salt
-8 cups cold water for water bath
-4 cups ice cubes
-2 teaspoons salt
1. place eggs in large pot, cover eggs with water by one inch. place pot on stove and turn on heat to medium.
2. when water comes to a boil, turn the knob to low and simmer with the lid on for 15 minutes.
3. while eggs are cooking – wash, peel and cut beet and place it in a medium pot with 2 cups water and 1 cup vinegar, bring pot with beet to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. when hard boiled egg timer goes off prepare an ice bath with 8 cups water 4 cups ice cubes and two teaspoons salt. gently place eggs into ice bath with slotted spoon or flat whisk for about 10 minutes until they are completely cooled.
5. tap bottom of each egg on flat surface and peel eggs while in the cold water to help them peel smoothly.
6. place beet pot over cold water bath for a few minutes to cool the liquid, then place the eggs into the beet juice or in a zipper bag and pour juice over eggs and allow the eggs to sit in beet juice for an hour to color them vibrant and pretty.
7. slice eggs in half and begin making deviled eggs! I used this recipe for dijon deviled eggs.
note – do not make these eggs too far in advance or the color will bleed completely into the egg after sitting, making them pink. still pretty, but different!