-8 oz. shell pasta
-4 T. butter
-3 large heads of broccoli, chopped (about 3 cups)
-12 oz. shredded (real) cheddar cheese
-1/4 c. flour
-1 c. soy milk (whatever milk substance you prefer)
-1 c. vegetable broth
-1/2 t. garlic powder
-dash of salt and pepper
1. in a medium pot, boil pasta in salted water for about 5-6 minutes. then add chopped broccoli in with the pasta and boil for another 2 minutes. drain in a colander and remove from heat. set aside.
2. in a large soup pot, melt 2 T. of butter and blend in the flour. as the mixture begins to thicken, add the additional butter to ensure the mixture remains liquid rather than too doughy.
3. add in the milk and whisk to ensure a smooth blend with the flour mixture. add in the vegetable broth and whisk again.
4. add in garlic powder, salt, and pepper. cook and stir at medium heat until mixture begins to bubble.
5. remove from heat and add the shredded cheese. whisk and stir until cheese completely melts into liquid and single shreds are no longer visible. if mixture becomes too thick, add a splash of soy milk to thin.
6. add the shells and broccoli and toss to coat thoroughly. enjoy immediately.
recipe adapted from love grows wild