the north georgia mountains are a short hour and a half drive away from atlanta and will for sure be an annual trip for us going forward! one tip – don’t go during the apple festival weekends. we unknowingly planned our trip during that weekend and while we were extremely lucky and were always going the opposite direction of traffic, there were so many people trying to pick pumpkins and apples with jampacked roads! in my opinion, a trip to the mountains just isn’t the same with a million of your closest atlanta neighbors.
you can experience so much during a weekend in north georgia, especially if you’re willing to drive a bit between towns! so without further ado… 5 things you must do in the north georgia mountains!
1. visit an orchard to pick your own apples or just stock up on farm fresh goodies like apple butter, apple cider donuts, jams, fried pies… so so yummy! you won’t regret it. we went to b.j. reece orchards, there’s also hillcrest orchards, r&a orchards, red barn, and so many more. call ahead to confirm they have pick-your-own if you’re set on picking. be sure to wear rain boots or shoes you don’t care about getting wet and dirty… tory burch flats were obviously a newbie/bad choice. bring apple cider donuts back with you to work, your coworkers will loooove you.
2. dinner and drinks in blue ridge – try black sheep or harvest on main. we ate at black sheep (definitely call ahead for a reservation for both options, gets crowded!) and had an amazing experience. the calamari was delicious. we also hit up chester’s for drinks before dinner. blue ridge is a fun, walkable little mountain town.
3. go hiking! we drove about an hour from our b&b to hike the amicalola falls. it was worth the drive for sure. north georgia has some beautiful natural attractions, don’t take them for granted when you’re a short drive away.
4. check out the local wineries. we went to cartecay for the tasting menu, 5 samples for $10 with souvenir glasses. then we chose a bottle of red, bought a cheese plate, and listened to live music on the patio. check the websites to find out about special events and live music. local wineries include chateau meichtry, fainting goats, engelheim, and many more.
5. soak in a hot tub under the stars. no further commentary necessary on this one!
have you been to the north georgia mountains? what do you love to do on mountain trips? I’m always ready to start planning my next one.