happy saturday! we had a long day of tennis today and it’s been a long week for stephen with tax season, he hasn’t had a home cooked meal in a week since he’s been staying at the office so late and ordering in. needless to say, he really wanted to eat at home today.
last weekend, we had chicken parmesan with friends on valentine’s day… it was so good, stephen asked me to make it the next week. the last time I had chicken parmesan was at least three years ago and I certainly didn’t have a tried and true recipe. I did some pin-search [pinterest research], made some modifications, and ended up with this 20 minute chicken parmesan. once the chicken is cooked and everything is plated, you end up with a pretty sexy meal / looks + tastes amazing and really isn’t that difficult or time intensive… double win! definitely try this at home, you won’t be disappointed.
1-2 pounds of chicken breasts or tenderloins (depending on how many people you’re serving)
1 c. panko bread crumbs
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
shredded mozzarella cheese
jar of tomato and basil pasta sauce (or your choice red pasta sauce)
basil for garnish (my basil plant is dead so I had to skip)
1. mix bread crumbs and parmesan cheese together in a small bowl. separately, crack the egg into a small bowl and use the tines of a fork to whisk the egg up evenly. meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil on a back burner for pasta and turn the oven on broil.
2. heat 2-3 T. olive oil on medium-high on a skillet. one by one, dip your chicken breasts into the egg mixture then the bread crumb mixture. coat well and immediately place each tenderloin on the hot skillet being careful not to overlap the pieces.
3. cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until slightly browned. cut small incisions to ensure each piece is cooked. using smaller tenderloin pieces vs breasts also helps to speed up cook time. you can see in the photo above, the sides will start to turn white when it’s time to flip the chicken. meanwhile, drop the pasta in the boiling water and cook for approx. 7 minutes.
4. once the chicken is cooked, move the pieces from the skillet to a baking sheet. top each piece evenly and thoroughly with pasta sauce. then top with a generous amount of shredded mozzarella. cook the remaining pasta sauce in the skillet on medium.
5. broil the chicken for approximately 90 seconds until cheese is melted and slightly browned. strain pasta and place on serving plates. top the pasta with the warmed red sauce and add the chicken on top. garnish with basil.